Download Word document

Children with a disability or SEN

Make sure that they get the best support available

If your child has a disability the future can feel like a real challenge, but you are not alone. You can’t stop your child’s condition, but you can help with the disability they experience by making sure that they get the best support available.

Your doctor and Health Board should provide the help you need to understand your child’s disability and help plan treatment, therapy equipment and ongoing care.

Caerphilly Council provides a range of support which can include special leisure facilities and short breaks. Caerphilly Children with Disabilities team can be contacted on (02920) 849700.

Your child is especially protected by Law. The Disability Discrimination Act makes it unlawful for any service provider like schools to treat disabled people differently because of their disability. We support equal rights.


Benefits that you could receive to help you include, Disability Living Allowance, Carer’s Allowance, help with extra housing costs, Carers Blue Badge Scheme, free dental treatment and prescriptions and help with the cost of glasses. In some cases travel to hospital, school meals and road tax exemption. There are organisations and charities who provide further help, advice and support.


Depending upon the disability or Special Educational Need (SEN) that your child has, they may need additional support in their mainstream school. In some circumstances your child may need to attend a special school - a specialist environment designed to match their educational needs. Every school has a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) who can discuss any issues with you.


You think your child may have some form of disability.


Some children do not appear to have a disability at birth, it can develop over time. Do not panic.


Contact your Health Visitor, Doctor or school to access support.


Hello again, My boss has just asked me about doing something on Whiteboard, which I know you use so I said I would find out about it. Apparently they want something like an outline of the human body and drawings of the different organs (to be provided either by them or drawn by a freelance illustrator we know) and to be able to drag the onto the outline of the body into the right places. There will obviously be a more detailed brief but they want to know if they can offer the service in the first place. I asked about timing and it's not immediate so could be by the time you're back. It's got to do with primary schools in Wales. Is this something you thing you could do? Let me know and we'll take it from there... Adda